Franschhoek

The Franschhoek (“French corner”) valley was settled by French Huguenots in 1688 and, to a large extent, has retained its French flavour. The town was originally known as Olifants Hoek (“Elephants Corner”) on account of the elephants who used the protected valley as a “maternity ward”. The town lies in the valley that is protected […]

Paarl

The large commercial centre of Paarl is situated on the banks of the Berg River This town, whose name means “Pearl” owes its name to two massive granite boulders on the mountain overlooking the town. The founder Abraham Gabemma, in 1657, saw the granite rock glistening in the sun after a rainstorm and named it […]

Pniel

The humble village of Pniel lies on the banks of the Dwars River in the Drakenstein Valley. The Simonsberg Mountains and the Hottentots-Holland Mountains dominate the village. Its establishment dates back to 1843, when South Africa’s slaves were freed and a mission station was founded to provide aid and accommodation to these former slaves. Adventure […]

Stellenbosch

Governeor Simon van der Stel founded this stately town in 1679 and named it after himself. He probably thought that only this broad and fertile valley was worthy of his respected name. Stellenbosch is the second oldest town in South Africa and its many old buildings and museums are well preserved. It is also affectionately […]

Wellington

This town was laid out in 1838 and is named for the victor of the Battle of Waterloo, the Duke of Wellington. The valley in which the town lies was once called Limietvallei (“Border Valley”) as it used to be the border of the Dutch East India Company’s holdings in the Cape. Wellington lies at […]