The farm Amalienstein was bought by the Berlin Missionary Society in 1850. Two mission stations were completed in 1853 in the building style of a century ago. The town was named after Frau Amalie von Stein who donated the money to purchase the land. The mission stations were transferred to the Dutch Reformed Church during the First World War. The town is part of the tourist route on Route 62.