The village was built where dolomite rock formations, karee-and-wild olive trees and natural springs are found. It was one of the first footholds of Christianity north of the Orange River, and named after a British missionary, the Reverend John Campbell, who came to the area in 1813. Campbell lies on the edge of the Ghaap Plateau and was once known as Grootfontein (“Large Fountain”) or Knoffelvallei (“Garlic Valley”).
Fauna and Flora
Aloe Nature Reserve: Many aloes grow on a ravine on the edge of the Ghaap Plateau. Several early travellers mentioned this attractive patch in their writings.
Holy Ark Wood: This area has lovely trees and succulents.
History and Architecture
Bartlett’s Church: The church, one of the oldest north of the Orange River, was completed in 1831. Two famous missionaries, Robert Moffat and David Livingstone, preached from its pulpit.
Fabersput Battlefield: This is an Anglo-Boer War site.
Grave of Oupa Swartbooi: Oupa Swartbooi was a British spy.
Griqua Rebellion Site: White settlers and Griquas fought a fierce battle here in 1878.