Barberton

Barberton is situated in the De Kaap Valley at the foot of the Mkhonjwa Mountains. Jacaranda and Flamboyant trees line the streets and transform the town into a palette of green, purple and fiery, orange-red when the trees flower. When Graham Barber discovered gold here in 1883, people flocked to the area by the thousands […]

Kaapmuiden

Kaapmuiden is situated at the foot of the Crocodile Gorge and at the confluence of the Kaap and Crocodile Rivers, in the lovely De Kaap Valley. The town was established here as a junction on the “Oosterlijn”, the Pretoria-Lourenco Marques (Maputo) railway line and has since become a commercial centre for the surrounding area where […]

Komatipoort

Komatipoort is situated close to the border post with neighbouring Mozambique at the confluence of the Crocodile and Komati Rivers – yet another early (1890) siding and supply base for the NZASM “Oosterlijn” Railway line to Mozambique. Today, the town with its lovely, tree-lined streets is still a major railway terminus serving both the main […]

Malelane

“Emlalani”, the Swazi name of the town, means “Place of the small Lala Palms”. The name has an interesting historical connotation, as the Emlalani regiment of Swazi King Mswati was stationed where the town now stands, to guard the river against insurgent Bapedi tribes. Originally a farm, Malelane was only proclaimed a township in 1949. […]

Graskop

The small town of Graskop, situated on the Drakensberg Escarpment above Kowyn’s Pass, was established in 1880. The town was originally a gold-mining settlement but is now a major forestry centre. The mining of asbestos, manganese and phosphates also contribute to the economy of the town. Graskop is the gateway to the Panorama Route, which […]

Hazyview

During the warm balmy days of summer, a shimmering haze often hovers on the horizon -hence the name of the town. The green subtropical vegetation blends in well with the boisterously colourful bougainvilleas that can be seen almost everywhere. Most of Mpumalanga’s game reserves are situated just east of Hazyview. Kruger Gate, the main entrance […]

Ohrigstad

Ohrigstad was founded in 1845 by Andries Hendrik Potgieter and other Cape Dutch Voortrekkers who left the town of Potchefstroom in the old Transvaal Republic when they they heard of a new British Law that extended British authority northwards to latitude 25 degrees south. A fort, water furrows and broad streets were laid out and […]

Pilgrim’s Rest

Pilgrim’s Rest was proclaimed a gold field on 22 September 1873 and by the end of that year there were approximately 1 500 diggers working 4000 claims in and around the village. The Gold Commissioner moved his office to the village, which became the social centre of the diggings and a busy community. The village […]

Sabie

This picturesque village on the Sabie River was established in 1895. The name is a derivative of the Shangaan “uluSaba”, meaning “fearful”. When gold was discovered here, many people flocked to the area, but even before gold was discovered, people realised the potential value of the timber in the area. To this day the economy […]

Kaapschehoop

The small town of Kaapschehoop lies high in the mountains above the De Kaap Valley and is surrounded by the Berlin State Forest. Prospectors dubbed the area “Die Kaap” because the valley was often covered in mist that caused the plateau to stand out like a “cape” (“kaap” in Afrikaans) in a sea of clouds. […]