Botshabelo

Botshabelo started life as a German Mission Station in 1858. The name means “Place of Shelter” and the station was erected by two German missionaries, Alexander Merensky and Heinrich Grutzner, near the town of Middelburg. Originally built to house themselves and their followers, the missionaries soon started taking in other Pedi converts, refugees fleeing from […]

Kmahlanga

Kmahlanga, originally built as the administrative centre for the Ndebele local government, is revered as the spiritual centre of the Ndebele tribe who settled here during the early 1700s. Traditional Ndebele houses painted in vibrant colours and decorated with geometrical designs and patterns welcome the visitor to this typically Ndebele village. The patterns and colour […]

Groblersdal

Groblersdal lies on the western bank of the Olifants River, some 1 215 m above sea level, in the fertile Olifants River Valley. The town is surrounded by a landscape of mountains, gorges and ravines and three major rivers, the Olifants, Elands and Wilge, wind through the valley. Established in 1938, the town lies at […]

Loopspruit

This small town is situated some 32 km north of Bronkhorstspruit, on Road R568 towards Ekandustria/KwaMhlanga, and is renowned for its wine cellar and traditional Ndebele village. The Loopspruit vineyard and cellars produce lovely wines as well as the potent but traditionally South African “witblits” (raw spirit/moonshine) and “mampoer” (home-made brandy). Cuisine Loopspruit Wine Estate: […]

Marble Hall

Marble was first discovered in the area in 1913 and in 1929 mining started in a big way when the Marble Lime Company was formed to work the site, in which no less than 15 varieties of marble are quarried. In 1936 a railway line was built to the town. Marble and lime are still […]

Middelburg

The town, originally named Nasaret, was established in 1866 to serve the wagon routes to the Lowveld and the coast. The town was renamed in 1874 and the first negotiations to end the Anglo-Boer War of 1899 to 1902 were held here. Today, Middelburg is known as the stainless steel capital of Africa. There are […]

Ogies

Ogies was established in 1928 on the farm “Oogiesfontein” (Fountain with many eyes) and named after the fountain on the farm. It is situated1 612 m above sea level, about 27 km south of Witbank on the rail link between Springs and Witbank. Today the town is known mainly for the coal that is mined […]

Roossenekal

Roossenekal was established in 1886 and named after two soldiers, Roos and Senekal, who died in the war against the Ndebele Chief, Mapoch. The Mapoch caves situated 6km out of town were the scene of a bloody battle between the Boers and the Ndebele chief and his followers, who held out for weeks before being […]

Siyabuswa

Siyabuswa is a fast-growing regional development point in the Ndebele cultural heartland area. The name of the town means “to receive instruction’. Its location close to the north-western game reserves of the province makes it a popular stopover. Fauna And Flora Mabusa Nature Reserve: The 15 800-ha Mabusa Nature Reserve houses a significant number of […]

Witbank

The town of Witbank was originally established in 1890 as a trading post. It has since become the coal-mining capital of South Africa – almost half of all South Africa’s coal is mined in this district. From there the town’s motto: “Through coal and industry we flourish”. The town is an industrial giant and the […]