This town, originally named Treurfontein (“Fountain of Grief”), came into being when a branch railway line was constructed from Welverdiend to Schweizer-Reneke on the Cape-Johannesburg line. The town was renamed after Admiral Gaspard de Coligny, one of the first French Huguenots to be killed during the St Bartholomew’s Day Massacre of 24 of August 1572 in Paris.
History And Architecture
British Cemetery: The British Cemetery contains many graves dating back to the 19th Century. The presence of these graves is indicative of the town’s place in South African history.
Coligny Bust: The Coligny Bust, a memorial in honour of Admiral Gaspard de Coligny, can be viewed in the local school hall.