Dewetsdorp lies 75 km south-east of Bloemfontein and was named after the father of the Boer General, Christiaan de Wet. De Wet’s senior was also the founder of the town, which became a municipality in 1890. When a British garrison occupied the town during the Anglo-Boer War, General Christiaan de Wet’s men rallied to its defence and within four days the British surrendered. The town lies in a prime sheep and cattle area where wheat and maize are also cultivated. The town is part of the Battlefields Route.
Adventure And Sport
Golf: Enjoy a relaxing game at the beautiful 9-hole golf course.
History And Architecture
British War Graves and Monument: The British Monument and War Graves lie on a hill outside the town. The memorial was erected in honour of the British soldiers who lost their lives during the Anglo-Boer War.
Centenary Festival Monument: The Centenary Festival Monument in front of the Town Hall was erected in 1938 to commemorate the centenary of the Great Trek.
Historic grave: The site of General Christiaan De Wet’s wife grave is marked by a small monument.
Twins Memorial: The Twins Memorial was erected in the grounds of the Dutch Reformed Church in honour of a set of twins who both lost their lives during the Anglo-Boer War.