Fraserburg lies on a high plateau north of the Nuweveld Mountains. Originally inhabited by the San, a town came into existence in 1852 after white farmers had settled in the area. The town was named after a Scotsman, the Reverend Colin Fraser. Architecture enthusiasts and laymen alike will appreciate the many well-preserved Victorian buildings that lend the town its elegant character.
Adventure and Sport
4×4: One of the most popular attractions of the area is the De Postjes 4×4 Trail that negotiates the Nuweveld Mountain Range and takes the traveller over several farms. Hunting: Contact the Northern Cape Hunters’ Association for more information.
Archaeology and Palaeontology
Gansfontein Palaeosurface: This palaeosurface, approximately 5 km out of town, was discovered in 1968. It clearly shows the dinosaur footprints of large four-footed, five-toed mammals that lived approximately 190 million years ago.
History and Architecture Corbelled House: This house on the farm Grootfontein is an excellent example of the houses built by early white settlers who had to learn to make use of any available material in this region where there are very few trees. Fraserburg Museum: The Old Rectory building houses some exhibits on the history of the region, including some magnificent fossils. Victorian Architecture: Many well-preserved examples of this style can be seen in town. Note the intricate wrought-iron ornamentation of the buildings. Peperbus (Pepper Box): This six-sided building was designed by the Reverend Bamberger. Built in 1861 as an office, it has since housed the church, the magistrate’s office and the municipal offices. The Powder Magazine Depot: British forces stored their arms here during the Anglo-Boer War.