This typical Free State rural town was established in 1859 on the lovely Vanwyksvlei Farm in an area characterised by saltpans. The town was named after Jacobus Boshof, the then president of the Orange Free State and was the western administrative capital of the old Orange Free State. Today, Boshof acts as the administrative centre of the Lejweleputswa Region and is a peaceful rural town with friendly, hospitable people.
Adventure And Sport
Hiking: Contact the Municipality for more information about the Spitskop and Vrede Hiking Trails.
Archaeology And Palaeontology
Rock Art: Several examples of San rock art can be seen on the farms Rondefontein and Merriesfontein.
Fauna And Flora
Boshof Nature Reserve: The small municipal nature reserve is home to a variety of antelope, such as springbok and blesbok.
History And Architecture
Battlefield site: The Poplar Grove Battlefield site is located close to town. This is the site where, on 7 March 1900, the Boer General, Christiaan de Wet, ambushed the British forces advancing on Bloemfontein. The ambush was not a success and the British nearly succeeded in surrounding the Boers, who were forced to leave their defences and fall back.
Chris Van Niekerk Museum: The Chris Van Niekerk Museum focuses on the history of Afrikaner folk dancing or “volkspele” as it is called in Afrikaans. This type of dancing originated in Boshof.
Folk Dancing Monument: The Folk Dancing Monument honours Dr SH Pellissier, who introduced “volkspele” to the town.
Gunpowder House: Boshof also has an old Gunpowder House dating from the Anglo-Boer War.
Historic Buildings: Boshof has a collection of old historical buildings, including an old jail, the Town Hall (built in 1905), the Dutch Reformed Church and lovely old Niemeyer House, to name but a few.
Historic Tablet and Grave: A memorial tablet in honour of General De Villebois, the brave French aristocrat and leader of the Foreign Legion of men who fought on the Boers’ side during the Anglo-Boer War, is situated on Middendeel Farm close to the spot where he died. He was first buried in the town’s cemetery but his remains were later removed to the cemetery at the Magersfontein Battle site. His grave and headstone remain in the town’s cemetery where they can still be seen.
Rooidak School: This historic little school, which is still in use, was the town’s first school. A section of the Chris van Niekerk Museum has been set aside to preserve and exhibit memorabilia relating to the school. The history of the school and of some of its famous ex-pupils such as late State Presidents Nico Diederichs and Dr Donges, and the author, Mrs SJA De Villiers, who taught a whole generation of young South African women how to cook and whose cook book is still in print, is recorded and exhibited here.
Voortrekker Monument: The Voortrekker Monument was inaugurated in 1938 during the centenary celebrations of the Great Trek of 1838.