Every year, thousands of visitors come to Garies (the Khoisan word for “couch grass”) to view the wonder of the wild flowers. To the east lie the mountains and to the west the sea. The town was established in 1845 on land that was given to the Dutch Reformed Church by a farmer. The town was originally named Goedeverwagting after the original farm, but later renamed by a former Cape Premier, John X Merriman.
Fauna and Flora
Spring Flowers: Garies is one of the most popular tourism centres in the spring-flower region and is at its busiest during the spring months.
History and Architecture
The Letterklip: Several large rocks carry the names of early Namaqualand travellers. Simon van der Stel added his name when he was on his way to the copper fields and British soldiers who stayed here during the Anglo-Boer War chiselled their regimental crests into one of the rocks.