This small village, called “Nthorwana” by the locals, was established in 1910 and named after JP Greyling, a farmer in the district, local pioneer and stepson of the esteemed Voortrekker leader Piet Retief. The village lies some 1 828 m above sea level and consists of two distinct parts; one part built on level ground in the shade of giant grain elevators, the other part scattered along the slopes of a hill and up a narrow “kloof” (gorge).
History And Architecture
Fort: A fort built by soldiers of the Scottish Rifles Regiment during the Anglo-Boer War overlooks the town. Evidence of their obvious boredom can be seen in the letters SR that they painstakingly laid out with whitewashed stones.