Hobhouse, founded in 1912, was named after the Welsh heroine Emily Hobhouse who, despite heavy criticism from her own people, worked tirelessly to improve conditions in the concentration camps during the Anglo-Boer War. She was so dedicated to her cause that she cancelled her engagement and wedding to help Boer women establish a livelihood after the Anglo-Boer War. To this day her wedding veil hangs in the head office of the “Oranje Vroue Vereniging” (Women’s Association), the first women’s welfare organisation in the Free State. After her death her ashes were brought to South Africa and interred at the foot of the “Vrouemonument” (National Women’s Monument) in Bloemfontein, a token of honour from a whole generation of grateful Boer women, men and children. Today, the town that has not changed much since the “old” days, lies close to the Caledon River, the border with Lesotho, amid prosperous maize, dairy and sheep farms.
Adventure And Sport
Angling: The Arminia Dam and Game Reserve and the Leeu River Dam offer angling opportunities to both locals and visitors.
Hunting: Venues, such as Alzoo Farm offer hunting packages in season.
Polo: Polo is a popular sport in the Hobhouse district. The town hosts a local gymkhana every September.
Archaeology And Palaeontology
San Rock Art: Many San rock paintings adorn the walls of the numerous caves in the mountains above the Caledon River.
History And Architecture
Miniature church: A miniature church was built in the grounds of the local school in 1938 to commemorate the centenary celebrations of the Great Trek.