Originally called Maraisburg, this town was established in 1873 and renamed after Jan Hofmeyr, a linguist and champion of the Afrikaans language.
History And Architecture
Anglo-Boer War Memorial: The memorial commemorates the Boers who died in the Anglo-Boer War.
Dutch Reformed Church: The pillars and portico of the church are similar to those of the church in Cradock. Before it was installed in the Dutch Reformed Church, the pulpit was used at the christening of Paul Kruger, the last president of the Transvaal Republic (South African Republic).
Historical buildings: Several old buildings have been preserved in the town.
Hofmeyr Museum: Learn more about the history of the town at the Hofmeyr Museum, in itself an interesting old building.