This town was established in 1874 on the farm of one Johannes Jacobus Wagenaar, fondly referred to as “James”, by his English friends. And, it is by this nickname that the new town, situated on the banks of the Skulpspruit, eventually became known. The primary activities of the area are wheat and wool farming.
Archaeology And Palaeontology
San rock art at Buffelsfontein: Situated some 33 km south of Jamestown on the N6 National Route to Queenstown, “the Friendly Route”, the Buffelsfontein site is exceptionally long and has very distinctive paintings.
San rock art at Eldorado: The farm is near Jamestown, approximately 6 km off the friendly N6 and the site consists of a large fresco of San rock paintings.
History And Architecture
Dutch Reformed Church: The stately sandstone Dutch Reformed Church is a landmark in the town.
Louw Wepener Plaque: The plaque marks the area where the Anglo-Boer War hero, Louw Wepener, once farmed.