Kamieskroon is built on the strong rock formations of the Kamiesberg Mountains, 67 km south of Springbok. The town originated in 1860, 7 km north of where it is today. The original town was built in a ravine that was too narrow to allow further expansion and in 1924, the town council decided to demolish the church and to rebuild it at a more convenient location. Some shops, a police station, a post office and a school hostel were built at the same time. The Leliefontein area is south-east of Kamieskroon and is home to small, mainly Nama, settlements, such as those at Paulshoek and Kharkams.
Adventure and Sport
Hiking and biking: The area is a paradise for hikers and bikers. The scenery is spectacular but remember to take enough water along and be careful of the sun.
Paulshoek: This Nama settlement in the Kamiesberg Mountains has a cultural camp where tourists can stay in Nama huts and enjoy traditional Nama cuisine.
Kharkams: A small community of Nama people lives south of Kamieskroon, among the wild flowers that bloom during spring.
Fauna and Flora
The purpose of the Namaqua National Park is to conserve the natural wonder that occurs annually in the Namakwa region. From July to September, depending on the winter rains, the dusty valleys of Namaqualand are clothed in a tapestry of brilliantly coloured wild flowers. The greater area of the park is not yet open to visitors. However, the area formerly known as the Skilpad Wildflower Reserve is open during August and September. The average annual rainfall here is 340 mm and most of the rains fall during the winter months of June and August. This 900 ha section of the park is in the Hardeveld or Namaqualand Klipkoppe (“Rocky Hills”), a broken chain of mountains, approximately 50 km wide.
Spring Flowers: Brilliant flowers carpet the town and its surroundings during the spring months.
History and Architecture
Leliefontein Methodist Church and Parsonage: These are both national monuments. The Boer leader, Manie Maritz, reputedly killed a number of Khoisan attackers with his bare hands inside the church building.
Leliefontein Mission Station: The station dates back to the 19th century and still houses the sundial that used to belong to its founder, the Reverend Barnabas Shaw.
Lt DJ Darter’s Grave: The burial place of this British soldier, who was killed during the Anglo-Boer War, constitutes the smallest piece of foreign land registered in South Africa.