After the government of the Orange Free State purchased their land from them in 1822, the Griqua people left the Orange River area and the Cape Government granted them new land in the present day East Griqualand region. After a remarkable trek over the Drakensberg Mountains, they established Kokstad, a town named after their leader, Adam Kok III. The Griqua Republic was annexed by the Cape Colony in 1874, and Kokstad became the capital of the newly-established magistracy of Griqualand East. Lying in the Umzimhlava River Basin between Mount Currie and the Ngele Mountains, Kokstad is the largest town in the region and is home to people of all cultural groups, including the descendants of the original Griqua people.
Adventure And Sport
Adventure opportunities: Kokstad and its surroundings offer opportunities for paragliding, hiking, tennis, squash, cycling and 4×4 adventures.
Golf Course: The 18-hole golf course will test your skills and patience.
Trout fishing: The well-stocked rivers and dams in the area offer excellent trout-fishing opportunities.
Art And Crafts
Ingeli Weavers: Ingeli Weavers sell handcrafted wool rugs and carpets made by local weavers.
Fauna And Flora
Mount Currie Nature Reserve: The 1 700-ha Mount Currie Nature Reserve offers opportunities for angling, boating, picnicking and hiking. Crystal Springs Dam is an ideal spot for bird-watching. The reserve also has a Griqua cemetery and a First World War memorial. A monument marks the spot where Kok’s people first camped.
History And Architecture
Adam Kok III Memorial: The Adam Kok III Memorial in the centre of town was erected in honour of the well-known Griqua leader who died in 1875 after a fall from a cart.
Adam Kok’s Mausoleum: The mausoleum is the last resting place of Adam Kok and his wife.
Cape Mounted Rifles Monument: The Cape Mounted Rifles Monument was erected in honour of the Cape Mounted Rifles who once had the task of protecting the interests of white settlers in the area.
Historic Buildings: Kokstad is home to a number of historic buildings, including the original town hall built in 1910 that now serves as the library, St Patrick’s Church, St Patrick’s School and the Griqua National Church.
Kokstad Bandstand: The engineers who designed the Kokstad water scheme donated the ornamental, cast-iron bandstand to the town council in 1912. In October 1983 it was proclaimed a national monument.
Kokstad Museum: Kokstad Museum, originally the town library that was built in 1907, details the history of the Griqua people.