Langa, meaning “Sun” in Xhosa, is Cape Town’s oldest black township established to house local black people who were evicted from their homes from 1923 to 1927. It was named after Langalibalele, a chief of the Amahlubi tribe in KwaZulu-Natal, who was banished to the Cape in 1874 for rebelling against the British authorities in what was then the Crown Colony of Natal.
Culture / Community Tourism
Township Tours: The rich culture and history of this area is best explored in the company of a professional tour guide. Attractions include several taverns and Langa High School, the oldest black high school in South Africa.
History And Architecture
Old Station and Cemetery: The Old Station and Cemetery is situated off Brinton Street and is the last resting place of many famous South Africans.