The name of the town is a corruption of the San word for the aromatic herb, wild spearmint. This herb grows along the banks of the nearby stream and was believed to have great healing properties.
History And Architecture
Town Hall: The term “Transvaal bushveld” can be used to describe the architectural style of the Town Hall. It is built of sandstone and was completed in 1912.
Wesleyan Mission Station: The Wesleyan Mission Station was the first mission station to be built north of the Vaal River. The , as well as the remains of a house also built by Broadbent. Both structures have been declared national monuments.