Two Nama words combine to form the name of the town, “naba”, meaning “hump of an animal” and “bib”, meaning “small spring”. With a little imagination, the town became “the spring behind the hill”. The town developed in the 1850s when a copper mine was opened. When copper lost its value in 1919, the mine closed but reopened again in 1937. To this day, it is still the biggest copper mining town in the region.
Adventure and Sport
Hiking: The Skaaprivier (Sheep River) hiking trail takes two days to complete.
History and Architecture
Mining Museum: The museum tells the story of the copper mining in the region. Clara, a steam locomotive that was used to transport copper ore to Port Nolloth, is mounted on rails outside the museum.