The railway gave this village life. In 1883, when the railway line was diverted to Colesberg, a station had to be built here and it was called after one of the farms, Naauwpoort. Noupoort is the more modern version of the name and means “Narrow Pass”. In 1883 the line was constructed from Port Elizabeth to Bloemfontein. A junction was established here to link the Port Elizabeth-Bloemfontein and Cape Town-Johannesburg lines.
Adventure and Sport
Hiking, biking and 4×4: Several trails, such as Brulberg and the Transkaroo Hiking Trail allow exploration of the rugged terrain.
Hunting: Contact the Northern Cape Hunters’ Association for more information.
History and Architecture
British Military Museum: The All Souls Anglican Church building in Shaw Street houses the museum. British soldiers started building the church during the Anglo-Boer War, but before they could complete their work, they had to move up-country. No one has ever applied the finishing touches.
British blockhouse: The British blockhouse is on Hospital Hill.