In 1889, the mining financier, JB Robinson, bought the farm Randfontein, started the Randfontein Estates Gold Mining Company and watched as a town was established to serve the mine in 1890. He would hardly recognise the town now as it has grown into a large industrial and residential centre. It is only some 40 km from Johannesburg.
Fauna And Flora
Con Joubert Bird Sanctuary: The sanctuary encloses a perennial pan that provides a stopover for thousands of migratory birds and is a permanent home for some 120 other species. It lies at the corner of Horingsbek and Desert Streets in Culemborg Park.
History And Architecture
Jonker’s Hoek: The house was the home of the original owner of the farm Randfontein.
Milnkomm Post en Telegraafkantoor (Office): This post and telegraph office dates from 1898 and was the first government building in the area. It also saw service as a British guard post during the Anglo-Boer War, but today it is a library and community hall.