Developments in the area started in 1843 when a new congregation was formed. The town was named after the Duke of Richmond, the father-in-law of the Governor of the Cape at that time. The town is a miniature historical jewel, with many buildings dating back to early times, some of which show signs of the two Boer attacks on the town during the Anglo-Boer War.
Adventure and Sport
Hunting: Contact the Northern Cape Hunters’ Association for more information.
Archaeology and Palaeontology
Fossil Footprints and Bat Cave: The 60 claw-like fossilised footprints are presumed to be those of Aulecephalodon, that lived some 250 million years ago.
History and Architecture
Anglo-Boer War Graves: Many of the British soldiers who are buried at Deelfontein Station, died of enteric fever. A white cross in the middle of the cemetery commemorates the members of the hospital staff who also succumbed to the fever while treating the soldiers.
De Oude Dak (The old roof): Built in 1846, it is the oldest house in town.
Dutch Reformed Church: The 1854 church has the oldest pulpit in South Africa.
Saddle Horse Museum: Known for its horse-breeding farms, Richmond is the natural home for this type of museum, one of only two saddle horse museums in the world.
Victorian Mail Box: The mail box was used during the time of Queen Victoria and is one of only three similar mailboxes in the country.