The Rondebosch suburb with its lovely gardens and trees was originally called Ronde Bosjen (Round Bushes) and Rosebank owes its name to a nineteenth-century estate established in 1657.
Adventure And Sport
Golf: The tree-lined suburban Rondebosch Golf Course offers many hours of relaxation.
History And Architecture
Irma Stern Museum: The museum in Cecil Road, Rosebank, on the University of Cape Town (UCT) campus, exhibits Stern’s work, as well as rare Congolese art, fifteenth-century European furniture and Ming dynasty ceramics.
Mostert’s Mill: One of the only two original Dutch windmills in the Cape, Mostert’s Mill, stands in Mowbray, in Rhodes Drive. The mill dates back to 1796 and was originally owned by the Van Reenen family of the farm Welgelegen.
Rhodes Memorial: The Rhodes Memorial, built in memory of Cecil John Rhodes, is set on the slopes of Table Mountain and on clear days offers superb views across the Cape Flats, Table Bay, False Bay and the Drakenstein Mountains. It lies just off Rhodes Drive.
Rondebosch Common: This was a military camp during the 1806 British occupation and during the rule of the Batavian Republic. Later, it became a grazing ground. In 1961, it was proclaimed a national monument.
University of Cape Town: The main campus of the University of Cape Town in Rondebosch has some of the oldest buildings in South Africa. The campus lies just off Rhodes Drive. The Belvedere summer house was built on the Rustenburg Estate and was reconstructed by Sir Herbert Baker in 1894. The Woolsack Residence incorporates a mixture of Cape Dutchcharacteristics and was rebuilt by Baker in 1894. Cecil John Rhodes commissioned its reconstruction so that it could be used by poets and artists.
Flea market: Rondebosch Park hosts a flea market on the first and last Saturdays of every month