This town, known until recently as Stanger, was built on the site of KwaDukuza, King Shaka’s last great capital. It has now been renamed and lies in the heart of Shaka Country. The town was laid out in 1873 and named for William Stanger, the Surveyor-General of Natal at the time.
History And Architecture
Emakhosini: Emakhosini (Valley of the Kings) houses evidence of human habitation dating from the Stone Age and the Iron Age. Shaka was born in this valley around 1785 and his forefathers lie buried here. The valley is held by many to be sacred. Although much of the valley is divided into privately-owned cattle farms, plans are underway to buy up some of the land to preserve ancient Zulu culture and history. Some of the old graves may be visited but visitors need to get precise directions beforehand.
Indaba Tree: Shaka used to conduct regular meetings with his people under the Indaba Tree, a mahogany tree which stands in the municipal grounds.
The Shaka Monument: The Shaka Monument marks the site of Shaka’s assassination and stands over the grain pit into which his body was flung.
Sugar Mill: The first sugar mill in the area was built in 1846.
SAPPI Paper Mill: The SAPPI Paper Mill produces paper from sugar-cane pulp. Guided tours of the mill are offered.