Britstown

Britstown is named after Hans Brits, once a travelling companion of the missionary, David Livingstone. In 1877, a community centre and church were built on a section of his farm, Gemsbokfontein. Irrigation of the area had already started in 1885. In 1961, a flood destroyed one of the irrigation dams, but this was rebuilt in […]

Campbell

The village was built where dolomite rock formations, karee-and-wild olive trees and natural springs are found. It was one of the first footholds of Christianity north of the Orange River, and named after a British missionary, the Reverend John Campbell, who came to the area in 1813. Campbell lies on the edge of the Ghaap […]

Carnarvon

In the midst of farms and flat-topped hills lies the village of Carnarvon, named after a one-time Colonial Secretary, Lord Carnarvon. Settlement in the area dates back to 1795 when a Rhenish mission was built to serve the Xhosa communities who had moved up the Orange River. Carnarvon has some excellent examples of corbelled houses, […]

Colesberg

Colesberg is a lovely town in a hilly landscape and stands in the shadow of the towering Coleskop Mountain. The town is a convenient stop-over for travellers on National Road N1 between Cape Town and Johannesburg, between the south and north of South Africa, and has several comfortable accommodation facilities. The mountain overlooking the town, […]

De Aar

De Aar town was established on a portion of a farm with the same name, which means “artery”. The original owners imagined the underground water as flowing in life-sustaining arteries under the surface. Originally established as a railway town, De Aar is today one of the most important railway junctions in South Africa. Adventure and […]

Douglas

The Orange and Vaal Rivers join near Douglas, a fast-growing town that serves a large agricultural and stock-farming community. Developments in the area started with a mission station. A town was started in 1867 and named after Sir Percy Douglas, Lieutenant-Governor of the Cape Colony. Adventure and Sport Angling: The Vaal River at Douglas is […]

Griquatown

In 1803, when missionaries brought the word of God north, they came upon Griquas, Koranna, Tswana and half-breeds (which proudly called themselves Bastaards (“Bastards”)). The Reverend John Campbell tried to unite the different groups and in 1813, the mixed group became collectively known as Griquas (a corruption of the name of a San tribe, the […]

Hanover

In 1854, when the local farmers wanted to develop a community centre, they bought a piece of land from one of the farmers, who requested that the town be called after Hannover in Germany, as his forefathers had come from there. Somehow, the second “n” of the German name fell away and the town is […]

Hopetown

The year 1854 saw the construction of a Dutch Reformed Church and the beginnings of a town that would later be made famous by the discovery of the Eureka diamond. The name Hopetown is attributed to a story about the widow of the first owner of the farm, De Kalk, and the servant who asked […]

Noupoort

The railway gave this village life. In 1883, when the railway line was diverted to Colesberg, a station had to be built here and it was called after one of the farms, Naauwpoort. Noupoort is the more modern version of the name and means “Narrow Pass”. In 1883 the line was constructed from Port Elizabeth […]