This small village grew around a Moravian Mission Station that was established in 1808 at the invitation of the then Governor of the Cape, Lord Caledon. Originally known as Groenekloof (“Green Valley”), the town was named Mamre in 1854. The name means “an altar to the Lord”. Mamre lies 6 km north of Atlantis on Road R307.
Mamreweg/Darling Wine Cellar: Despite its religious past, wine has for long been part of the area’s history and economy and the cellar has the best of the region’s popular wines in stock.
Fauna And Flora
Nature Garden: The beautiful Nature Garden is open seven days a week and the indigenous fynbos vegetation can be explored via several footpaths. The famous West Coast wild flowers also grow here in season. The Garden lies off Road R307, close to the village.
History And Architecture
Long House: The building was once used as barracks for the soldiers serving the Dutch East India Company.
Mamre Mission Station: The station has been restored and many buildings in the surrounding area have also been carefully renovated and have retained much of its original atmosphere.
Old Mamre Moravian Church: The fifth oldest church in South Africa was built in 1808 and, together with the cookhouse, shop and Mamre school (a national monument), takes us back to the time of the missionaries.
Reed Houses: The Mamre area is particularly rich in colonial history and the old “hartbeeshuisies” (reed houses) that have survived the ravages of time are only some of the many buildings that are worth visiting.
Watermill: The mill was built in September 1844 and has been renovated. At present it houses a restaurant.