This town was named after Sir Alfred Milner, Governor of the Cape in 1902 when the town was established. Situated on the banks of a lovely lagoon, Milnerton lies at the beginning of the West Coast with its beautiful wild flowers. It also offers breathtaking views of Table Mountain and its flanks, Devil’s Peak and Lion’s Head.
Adventure And Sport
Beaches: Bright splashes of colour dot the surf as surfers and wind-surfers ride the waves and Milnerton Beach is one of the best places to swim in this region. The beach also offers a magnificent view of Table Mountain. The Lagoon Mouth is a popular site for paddle-skiers.
Golf: The links-style Milnerton Golf Course is a must for the avid golfer.
Canoeing, power-boating and water-skiing: Milnerton Aquatic Club provides canoeing, power-boating and water-skiing facilities.
Entertainment And Shopping
Milnerton Water Park: Visit the park for healthy family fun. Squeals of laughter resound when children and adults enjoy the water slides, volleyball, Putt-Putt, barbecue and picnic facilities.
Ratanga Junction Theme Park: The adventure park provides adventurous rides and fun for everyone. Spend the day here and come back for more! The 20-ha theme park is accessible from the N1, Bosmansdam Road and Ratanga Drive and lies within the Century City Development. It was built to resemble an old-style mining town and offers entertainment around the clock. It has more than 30 fun rides, ranging from children’s rides to family rides and thrill rides for the adventurous. For the more sedate, there are movies, restaurants and
nightly cabaret and comedy shows and daily stunt shows. Regular events, such as laser shows, concerts, street-dancing and special parties, offer popular night-time entertainment.
History And Architecture
House Zonnekus: Located on Otto du Plessis Drive, this stately landmark dates back to 1929. It was the seaside house of the late Sir De Villiers Graaff and can be seen from Milnerton Beach.
Janssens Town Hall: The hall was originally built as a tea bungalow in the early days of Milnerton and was later used as a casino. It lay at the end of the railway line from Cape Town and served as a refreshment stop for visitors to the Ascot Turf Club.
Milnerton Bridge: Just beyond the stately row of palms that marks the entrance to Milnerton, an old wooden bridge, built in 1901, links Woodbridge Island to the mainland. The bridge lies in Otto du Plessis Drive and is now used as a pedestrian crossing to the Milnerton Golf Links. It was built during the Anglo-Boer War, after British troops had occupied Pretoria and Jan Smuts, the Boer General, had started one of his many raids into the Cape Colony. In order to defend the Cape Coast, the British decided to build military access routes to the island and to the coast to the north.
Milnerton Lighthouse: This structure stands on Woodbridge Island off Otto du Plessis Drive. It was built as a beacon for ships entering Cape Town Harbour. A plaque commemorating the stranding of the Nieuwe Haarlem was erected at the lighthouse.
Milnerton Railway Station: The station came into operation on 26 December 1903. A plaque commemorating this event can be seen opposite the Palm Hotel.
Paarlberg Stone: The stone stands in Pienaar Road, Milnerton, in front of the municipal offices and was erected in 1975 in honour of the Afrikaans language.