Arniston residents still refer to this small village as Waenhuiskrans, (“Wagon house cliff”), after a cave in the area large enough to house several ox-wagons, discovered by the first farmers to settle in the area. The name was later changed to Arniston, after a ship that was wrecked off the coast in 1815, with great loss of life. The village is over 200 years old and it is not hard to believe that the thatched, whitewashed fishermen’s cottages date from that time. The entire village is a national monument.
Adventure And Sport
Angling: Both boat and rock anglers can expect to come away from the waters satisfied with the day’s catch.
Harbour: Fishermen sell their fish in the harbour and ski-boat owners also use it as their playground.
Swimming: The waters are ideal for swimming.
Fauna And Flora
Waenhuiskrans Cave: This cave with its many beautiful pools can be visited during low tide.
History And Architecture
Arniston Monument: In front of a hotel in Arniston stands a monument which was erected by the wife of Col. Giels in memory of their four sons who died when the Arniston sank. The monument looks out towards the spot where the ship sank.