Napier

Napier developed after a Dutch Reformed Church was built in the area in 1838. The town was first called Klippedrift and then changed to Napier after the then Governor of the Cape, Sir George Napier. The mountains in the area are covered in natural fynbos vegetation and wheat, cattle and sheep farms stretch to the north.

Adventure And Sport

Bat Caves Hiking Trail: This two-hour hike allows one to discover the area’s indigenous fynbos vegetation.

Grootberg Hiking Trail: Many proteas and fynbos are endemic to the area around Napier and can be seen along this trail. On a clear day one can even see many of the surrounding towns as well as the Langebaan Mountains.

History And Architecture

Dutch Reformed Church: The church was constructed in 1928 and declared a national monument in 1978.

Feeshuis (Festival House): This is the oldest building in the town and in 1988 was restored to commemorate the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the establishment of Napier. In earlier days the house was used to house slaves and was also once a wine cellar.

Gold Mine: Gold fever gripped the the area during the 1870s and 1880s. There is still an old mining tunnel just north of Napier.

Ox-wagon Monument: An impression of an ox-wagon wheel track was made out of concrete to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Great Trek of 1838, when several thousand pioneers abandoned the Cape Colony to establish settlements outside its boundaries, away from British rule. The monument is in Main Street and was erected in 1988.

Rose Boats and Toy Museum: The museum exhibits several handmade models of steamboats and trains.

Sundial and Watermill Wheels: The sundial was erected by Mr Danie du Toit in 1965 and is one of the biggest in the country. The town has two watermills, in Meul Street and Jubileum Street.

About SA Traveller

South African Bed and Breakfast, Hotel, Lodge, Guest House and Self Catering Accommodation Directory. The StayZA.com site aims to provide a user-friendly one-stop resource for business and leisure travellers in the Republic of South Africa.