Williston is an important road junction that links many of the towns of the Hantam Karoo. It lies in the heart of a sheep-farming country. The town grew from a Rhenish mission station, called Amandelboom (almond tree). In 1919 it was renamed in honour of the Colonial Secretary of the time, Colonel Hampden Willis.
History and Architecture
Corbelled Houses: Examples of this distinctive architecture, built by early white farmers remain in the region, for example at Stuurmansfontein and Arbeidersfontein farms.
Museum: The local museum is housed in an old mission station building that dates from 1884.
Tombstone Route: This route leads visitors to tombs and gravestones made by local craftsmen.