Woodstock lies east of the city centre between Victoria Road and Eastern Boulevard on the main route to the southern areas. The area was originally called Papendorp. In 1882, when it became a municipality, the customers of the local tavern, “The Woodstock”, (probably the majority of the area’s inhabitants) voted to call the new municipality after their favourite watering hole. It later acquired the nickname “Little Madeira” when many Portuguese immigrants settled here.
Entertainment And Shopping
Factory Shops: Shopping is fun among the wide variety of factory shops. The factory shopping district in this suburb is well known among bargain hunters everywhere and most of the clothing retail chains in South Africa are represented here